Position: Food Technologist
Reporting to: Technical Manager
Location: Cape Town, Western Cape
An exciting opportunity has become available for a food technologist looking for experience in a fast-paced and dynamic working environment. The ideal candidate will be a driven and self-motivated individual with a passion for product and achieving excellence.
The purpose of the role is to provide technical support to our Sales Representatives and Warehousing. In the position, you will need to liaise with suppliers, customers and government officials and maintain all relevant documentation to prove due diligence. The role will further involve conducting trend analyses and assisting with food technology improvements.
Key Job Functions
- Set up and maintain a data base of current supplier assurance information.
- Set and maintain a data base of product specifications.
- Conduct shelf life studies on raw materials.
- Conduct desk top risk assessment of potential new suppliers.
- Ensure all products imported for Rialto Foods meet statutory, legal and regulatory requirements.
- To understand food law to ensure product and packaging comply with legal requirements.
- To remain constantly up to date with the technical changes in the manufacturing industry.
- Handle all technical queries on a day to day basis.
- Log and investigate customer complaints and respond.
- Monitor customer complaints and take appropriate action to avoid further complaints.
- To use knowledge of food safety to ensure safely manufactured products to required standards.
- Good working relationship with suppliers.
- Managing and trending of non-conformances raised.
- Perform other technical duties as required by the business.
Knowledge and Experience Required
- Minimum 5 years Industry experience
- Technical Food science degree qualification or equivalent knowledge and experience (B Tech)
- Knowledge of technical processes and procedures
- Knowledge of food safety and packaging legal requirements
- Knowledge of the technical role in the product development process
- Knowledge of the technical requirements of food manufacturing processes
- Knowledge of quality assurance and quality control systems and processes
- Knowledge of project management
- Knowledge of category management in a matrix structure
- Knowledge of technical food safety auditing desirable
Person Profile, Skills and Attitude
- Able to translate technical knowledge into constructive professional decisions, advice and sound judgments
- Making key decisions based on expertise and experience in fast paced environment
- Able to manage relationships with customers and suppliers
- Able to communicate clearly and confidently and make presentations
- Able to manage information systems and processes
- Displays a concern for business values and ethical standards
- Passion for product and achieving excellence
- Sets high personal standards, is focused and self-motivated
- Willing to accept occasional international travel and additional working hours
- Valid driver’s license
· Quality Delivery
· Adapting to Change
· Applying Knowledge & Expertise
· Interpersonal Relations
· Analysing and Reporting
· Taking Initiative
Please note that you may on occasion be required to perform tasks that are not part of your normal daily duties, but may be necessary due to the operational requirements of the Company.
*Please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org your CV summarizing your qualifications and past experience; with a motivation highlighting why you should be considered for the position.
Note: Preference will be given to EE candidates in line with the Company’s employment equity plan and BBBEE strategy.
Should you not have heard from us within 3 weeks kindly consider your application unsuccessful